Author Topic: Dwarves  (Read 34747 times)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
Dwarves
« on: March 11, 2010, 01:11:46 PM »
 Righty oh chaps.A little help please.

What I would like to know is what type of dwarves would you like to see produced to expand the range?

This could be the chance to get some new miniatures onto the table top.

Offline Von Koss

Re: Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:26:25 PM »
I think some substitutes for some Wolf Clan Scout Warriors would be cool.  I envision hooded dwarves with big shoulder pads armed with axes and crossbows.  Something like the Firstborn Judge (one fierce looking warrior) but a dwarf.  Painted differently they could also stand in as Wolf Clan "Scavengers".
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:40:06 PM by Von Koss »
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 02:00:46 PM »
 This is the sort of thing I was after.Trying to judge interest and the best possible miniatures to get done first.

I was thinking of a Dwarf weapons team with large crossbow  ;).

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »
ooooo....exciting!  In case you haven't noticed  ;), I really like the Dwarven Chronopia armies.  Great to hear someone thinking of sculpting some because its hard finding minis from other manufacturers that look and feel like Chronopia dwarves.  Thanks for considering this and soliciting our opinions!

Personally, my top choices would probably be Bloodbone Flayers and Warhammers.  I've never really thought of or seen a good proxy solution for these.  Most of the already-produced Bloodbones have a shield arm sculpted right to the body, or a gauntlet hand also part of the main body.  Both would be hard to convert to a 2nd claw (in the case of the Flayers) or wielding a giant war hammer (in the case of the Warhammers).  Plus, even if you wanted to proxy them, you'd have to proxy an entire warband.  I think the Bloodbone axe leader comes with both arms detached, so that might be a possible start for a conversion, but you'd have to track down and purchase something like 15 of them in order to round out a full warband of flayers and warhammers.

Other than that I guess I'd be looking for individuals that were not sculpted.  But for the most part, I've already proxied them (Impaler, Marksman), they are easily proxied, or there are minis out there that could be used in their place.  For example, the Mauler has the same general conversion issues as the other Bloodbones, but since he's and individual, making one proxy isn't that big of a deal.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 08:50:51 AM »
I like where this is going.   :D
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 11:24:33 AM »
 Glad this is a good chioce.

Daargrim we all know you love dwarves as do me and josh.The ones you have suggested are very good possibilities to start off.

It would be very cool to get all options for them out along with a few new ones.

I have to get back in-touch with the sculptor next week to see what we will go with first.At the moment I have plans for five initial sculpts with more to follow if these go down well.The start of a unit and a couple of individual types might ba a safe bet for starters.

Any idea's on what the warhammer would look like carried by the dwarves?

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 11:55:53 AM »
Any idea's on what the warhammer would look like carried by the dwarves?

well I am not as imaginative as others (especially on this board) but as long as it is bulky and "heavy looking" I think it would work.  Something similar to the vulture mallet warriors with flat "heads" on the striking surface would work.  Just a quick google search I found a few pictures that I could see being Chronopia Dwarf hammers:

http://images.elfwood.com/art/r/o/rory777/warhammer.jpg (maybe make both ends the same as the larger head)
http://www.relmisles.co.uk/OTa_Thumbs/War_Hammers/WarHammer2.gif (a little skinny but I like the design...just bulk it up a little)
http://www.wulflund.com/images_items/heavy-war-hammer_3.jpg (oooo these look like they could break some elf skulls)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 12:38:22 PM »
 I really like the one in the third picture.I could see that being the weapon of choice for the Warhammers.

Do you think it would be best to run a poll type thig to see what people would like to see first?

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 11:17:13 AM »
Do you think it would be best to run a poll type thig to see what people would like to see first?

I think this is your party, Manic, you do whatever you want!  A poll might be interesting though.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »
 Looking at what we have so far I think it will be a good bet to go with Blood-Bone Flayers,Mauler,Wolf Clan Axe Warrior and Scavenger types.With five miniatures first what would you like to see first?

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 03:28:50 PM »
Scavenger and Wolf Clan Axemen.  I'm biased of course.   :D
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 05:03:30 PM »
You know, I think I might have been drinking when I was talking about the ability to proxy the Bloodbone Flayers...for some reason I was thinking they had 2 ripper claws (like the mauler) but they have just a claw and shield, just like the legion clawsmen.  Makes for a fairly easy substitution.  So I wouldn't rank them as high as I previously implied. I still think my top choice would be the warhammers, but I'd be interested in almost anything you offer up that I haven't proxied already (which is everything on your short list).

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 11:51:55 AM »
 Here is an update for those interested in Dwarves.My original plan and budget was for five sculpts.This has now turned into six  :o.

So in the not too distant future you will see proxy models for :-

Vulture Marksman,Scavenger,Wolf Clan Axe Warriors (two warriors and a leader) and a Mauler.

Really looking forward to seeing these sculpts.Hope this helps people fill a few holes in there collection.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 01:00:14 PM »
Here is an update for those interested in Dwarves.My original plan and budget was for five sculpts.This has now turned into six  :o.

So in the not too distant future you will see proxy models for :-

Vulture Marksman,Scavenger,Wolf Clan Axe Warriors (two warriors and a leader) and a Mauler.

Really looking forward to seeing these sculpts.Hope this helps people fill a few holes in there collection.

Hooray!  :o ;D :o ;D

So what does "not too distant future" mean?  next month?  next year?  tomorrow?   ;)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 01:59:28 PM »
 Well not too distant future means greens should be done in two weeks.Then it all depends on what money I have for moulds and casting.I have some new miniatures ready for sale now.The one thing I am working on is a web site.At this time I have around thirty plus greens sitting in a box in my house.My little projects are an outlet for my miniatures obsession.

More sculpts are planned to help fill more holes in the lines we here all love.My main interests are the Fantasy side of things.

Any other miniatures you would like to see would be nice to know about.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:02:47 AM by Manic _Miner »